Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Freaky Teeth

My son.... has become a shark.

A few days ago, he came to me complaining that his teeth hurt. I looked in his mouth and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. So I dismissed it as just another random aliment being used as an attempt to delay his bedtime. But a couple days later, he came to me with a new concern: He had a loose tooth.

For Little Calvin, this was a first.. a milestone.. the first tooth to become loose, leading up to what will eventually become the first tooth to come out, which will lead up to the first visit of that winged fairy. (It's disturbing.. having watched the Santa Clause 2 over the Holidays, now all I can think of in regards to the Tooth Fairy, is some big lout wanting to be called the Molinator, flying into my son's room in the middle of the night.... creepy!)

But when the report came in to me of a loose tooth and I looked to see what was going on in his mouth, I was startled. When looking to investigate, I happened to see not one set of teeth.. but 2. Now, according to his dentist, who we quickly called, this is quite normal for kids. But since I had never seen it, it looked just wacky and abnormal.

What happens is that his baby teeth are in place and solid. It's now time for the new, permanent teeth to come in, but rather than coming up directly under the baby teeth, thus pushing them out, the teeth come in.. elsewhere, not affecting the baby teeth.. thus giving my son two sets of bottom teeth, the new set just inside of the old ones.

What now is fun is showing this off to others and watching their reaction to the kid with two sets of teeth. They usually glance in, realize what they are seeing, recoil back and go "Whoa" in a deep "Ted" voice from "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure". Little Calvin doesn't seem to mind or take offense. After all, he loves the ocean and studying sharks. And if Sharks have two sets of teeth, then why can't he.

Now, I am still a little unsure of how, when the front teeth actually do fall out, things will all line up, and this could bode well for his future in braces... to line all of this up, but for now, it's just the freaky teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment