Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Running MY Race


Today was the day... Independence Day.... A nice midweek break.. and my first official 10k road race in years. It was about 2 months ago that my friend Zak contacted me, issuing the challenge that we run Eugene's Butte to Butte run on the fourth of July. After being "running slacker" for the past several months after the let down of not being able to run my marathon (thanks to my funky knees,) I figured this would be a good motivating factor to get my butt out the door and back on the roads to train. So for the last two months, I have been back at it.. working to get back in shape while not over-straining my knees.

After putting quite a few miles on my shoes in an attempt to get ready and with a few nerves, today.. race day.. finally arrived. What I didn't know before hand is that this simple race day would become one of life's little surprise lessons in integrity, that I could never see coming. It's funny how life can work sometimes. That said.. here's the whole crazy story:

Zak and I had met yesterday for lunch to put our whole plan together for the race. Neither of us had run this race previously, so the particulars and course were new to us. The race was to start at 8 AM. As can be guessed from the name of the race, the course isn't a loop. It starts on the butte on the south end of town, and ends on the butte on the north end of town. This is also a big race for our little city with about 4,000 runners.. a Fourth of July tradition for many. Thanks to its one-way course, and the huge number of participants, most people must be bussed from the finish line to the starting line. As Zak and I prepared our race plan, we figured that by arriving at the bus at 7:15, we'd have ample amounts of time to get ready, stretch, warm-up etc. prior to the race start. That was probably our biggest mistake.

We arrived at the bus stop, right on time and saw what appeared to be a small line stretching back from where the buses pulled up to load passengers. To our horror, we actually followed that line however, as it rounded on block corner.. then another block.. then another block.. then winding through an empty downtown parking lot. It took one look at this massive line, and the buses arriving every 5 minutes to realize... there were way to many people that still needed to get to the starting line, and that we could be in trouble.

That trouble confirmed itself as we finally got on a bus... at 8:03 AM. The race was supposed to start at 8:00 and there were still lots of people waiting in line. As we rode up to the starting line, many people around us were making calls to friends at the starting line and we began to hear varying reports. Some said that they had started the race on time.. some said they were holding the race until a majority of the runners could get there. All we knew is that we had no clue what we'd face when coming off the bus.

Finally, we arrived and darted off the bus. The starting line was just over a small hill. We followed the flow to the top, heading quickly towards the line. Zak began to get a little anxious in fear that the race had in fact started since we couldn't see the expected starting crowd. He asked if I minded him running ahead to see what was going on. I agreed and off he went. Besides, I still had to throw on my iPod and knee braces. (So much for pre-race stretching..). Once I was ready, I headed down the hill, still following the mass crowd, heading around the corner to find... the giant mass of the starting line. I was shocked... They had actually held the race. I immediately began sorting through the large crowd, in an attempt to try to catch up with Zak prior to the race actually starting. But there were just too may people all piled in together. And within 60 seconds of my arrival, the race began anyway with a loud cheer from the runners. We were finally off.

Now, anyone that has run in a large scale road race knows.. you don't just sprint off the starting line. In fact, you don't actually run for a few minutes until everyone starts getting some space to move. The same held true here. Sure, a few brave souls darted for the sidewalks in an attempt to get around the masses, but otherwise, everyone stayed in the group. And since I was stuck in the middle, I just followed the crowd.

It wasn't long before I started to get the feeling, that something just wasn't right in the universe. For one, all we had heard about is a GIANT hill in the first mile of the race. So far, there were no signs of a hill. Second, the crowd finally started opening up, but even with the added space, few people were actually running. After a minute of my brain going "what the...?!" I asked the runner next to me "Isn't this the 10k race?!" To which he smiled, laughed and said "Nooooo, this is the 4 mile Mayor's fitness walk.. The 10k started about 10 minutes before this race and went the opposite direction." WHAAAT?! THERE WAS A FITNESS WALK?! I'd never even heard about that as part of the race (Note to self.. look at the race t-shirt better.. it's actually listed on there.. DOH!)

Just as the revelation hit me that I had started the wrong race.. we got the point where the Fitness Walk merged in with the 10k. The guy next me laid out my options. "At this point, there is no way you can go back.. it's just too far and we're about 3/4 mile into this, so you might as well just merge into the 10 k and start running. Besides.. you missed the hill and the first two miles.. lucky you!".

So there I was, faced with a choice... do I just continue on, merge in and cut my losses? After all.. I missed the hill that I was a bit concerned about.. and think about what my time would be.. WOW! Or I could turn around... go back to the start and begin again, thus creating a mile and a half warm up.. and a guaranteed last place.. in a race where everyone's time is printed in the local paper. After a split second of trying to sort this out.. I immediately knew what I had to do. I realized.. I didn't do all the training for a real 10k to skip the first 2 miles, even if it was by unfortunate accident. I don't run races for everyone else, I don't run for places.. I run races for me. And running a 10k was a very personal experience, one that I would not be able to look back at with fond memories if I knew inside that I had skipped 1/3 of the real race. And so.. I turned around, and finally began running.. to the starting line. Sure, I had to endure all the "YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!!!" comments, but again, it wasn't about them.. it wasn't their race.

About 25 minutes after the gun went off, I finally arrived at the starting line.. the real one and then began my race. By the time I had gotten there, the officials were taking the starting line down and cleaning up, the clock long since shut off, so I really had no idea how far back I was starting. It was obvious I was in last place.. I was being followed by the motorcycle cop up the hill as he was heading up to reopen the road to traffic.

So.. how was the race? It was actually very... quiet. Not the mass of people that I was expecting, but just my own race... running for pride, and not time. The hill wasn't too bad. Yes, it is steep at the end, but once it is done, there is a lovely 2 miles of steady down hill as a reward. (You can see the elevation chart below)


As I finally passed the "merge", I had to smile and wonder how I would have felt if that is where my race had begun. I also had a few moments of surprise and elation in those quiet middle miles as I actually passed a few runners. Sure.. they were elderly.. but still on the 10k course, so I could confirm they were not fitness walkers.. and bet of all: I wasn't in last place!

There were a few "issues" that concerned me after realizing the reality of my situation... It was a very HOT day, and with my late start, the water stops had been packed up by the time I arrived, causing fears of dehydration as I ran. Also in my late state, things like... course markers had already been taken down making things a little confusing for me and the traffic as I worked to figure out where I was supposed to be.

Luckily, my mental plan, concocted as I frantically ran back to the start, worked. By mile 5, I had caught up with the back of the pack of fitness walkers, so I didn't have to finish the race by myself. I also caught up to the water stops and was able to get a nice drink. The lady handing out drinks could tell I desperately needed some water, so rather than handing me a drink, she threw one in my face and as I looked surprised, she dumped another on top of my head. It was a wonderful thing.. just a little paranoid due to the iPod strapped to my arm..

In the end... I finally finished. Sure my "official" time was over an hour and a half, but under the circumstances.. I was a proud runner. It wasn't anyone else's race, it was MY race. And I finished MY race without regret, and without remorse. Despite the wacky start, it was a great way to begin my Fourth of July holiday and I look forward to running the race again next year.. with other actual racers.. And believe me: I'll be the first person on that starting line bus this time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment