Sunday, February 3, 2008

Blown Away

I have now seen the future of cinema.. And it is COOOL! Two years ago, after loving life at the U2 concert in Portland, I began to hear rumblings that the band was filming their South American shows using state of the art, IMAX 3-D cameras. I was intrigued... The rumor mill stated that U2 was planning a new concert film for exclusive release in IMAX theaters using some new 3D technology.

Suddenly I was reminded of my last "U2 in a theater" experience, back when I was a junior in high school. My buddies and I saw "Rattle and Hum" almost as soon as it opened, and then... Mom.. don't read this.... The film became the "play hooky from school to go see repeatedly film", until the day the theater pulled the movie and I was stuck with Schwarzenegger's Twins. (Ug). I much preferred the thought of seeing them in a live concert setting, especially after my parents vetoed my seeing the Joshua Tree tour live in Denver.. they said I was too young and had a camp out with my boy scout troop. So in its place, the movie sufficed, especially when seen at the old 70 millimeter Century 21 gargantuan theater with mega sound system.. our preferred theater for the "big" movies. Even if it wasn't "live" live, it was still cool to just see the band larger than life, and both hear and feel the music pumping through the system. I thought those days were long gone. Until now...


Last year, it finally appeared I may get a chance to relive those glory days as the new U23D film was announced. But I was concerned... The film was set to be an IMAX film, and here in Oregon there were no IMAX theaters in the state. Could I actually convince my wife to let me drive to Seattle just to see a movie? Luckily, I didn't have to. Low and behold the perfect timing, just before U2 was set to open, I learned a new IMAX theater had been built in Portland.. just 90 minutes north. Bingo.

And so, with eleven year old Tyler bouncing with excitement in the passenger seat, now a big U2 fan like his old man... we made the trek North.. a short road trip to see our band on the BIG screen, just as I had done so many times.. while I was supposed to be in high school.

At last, we arrived, fully loaded with Mountain Dew caffeine buzz we grabbed our 3D glasses, pulled our jaws off the floor at the sight of the giant screen and settled in for 90 minutes of music nirvana.

So.. how was the film? Man, did it ever suck!!! Just kidding. Quite the contrary. We were totally blown away. The film is getting rave reviews from both U2 and non U2 fans and we could see why. Forget the trendy Hannah Montana 3D film... this was the FIRST ever live action 3D IMAX film. As such, it was created to be a thorough experience, not just a concert taking advantage of 3D trickery for cheap thrills. As such, it literally makes you feel as though you are right there in the concert. You find yourself wanting the dumb people in front of you to put their hands down so you can see better, only to realize that they are part of the film.. not actually in front of you. Then suddenly you are on stage with the band. It's almost like being a fly.. buzzing around this 3D world all around you, going where you'd like. Simply amazing.


The music was great too! Some personal favorites.. Love And Peace Or Else, a song I didn't find really interesting on their CD, but live it becomes an amazing event. And "The Fly" was an experience never to forget with its hard rocking performance and visual experience like no other in the film.

What surprised me the most was that this was actually a film... I think I was expecting just a 3D concert and this felt like so much more. It had much more of a film quality, art design and concept, and that was fun to see. In between each song, Ty would lean over to me and say "This is the coolest thing I have ever seen!!!" I'd just smile and be grateful at least one of my offspring would find this enjoyable.

And so with goofy smiles on our faces, both of us talking a mile a minute about what we had just experienced, we got in the car to head back south. Sadly, we realize that this is not an experience we can ever recreate with our DVD player at home (until I can convince my wife to let me build on an IMAX theater onto our house), so we just have to enjoy it while it lasts. And then count the days until we can experience it again on the smaller scale of a regular movie theater screen, when it opens in Eugene in 3 weeks. The nice thing about this show... I can keep experiencing it, at least while in theaters without having to pay $175 a pop for concert tickets!!



So... If you've managed to find an IMAX theater in your city... GO NOW!! Do not hesitate! And when this film comes to a regular theater near you on February 22, go!!! Then you too (hey!) can experience the future of cinema.. and rock out at the same time.. without the dealing with the drunk guy spilling his beer on you at the concert!

Click here to view the trailer, learn more about the film and its technology, and find a theater near you!

No comments:

Post a Comment