Thursday, December 20, 2007

Give Me a Break! A Christmas One


Tonight I begin something that I haven't had in ages... an actual Christmas break! Now sure... it's nothing like the 2 weeks that the kids get from school, or the THREE weeks that Dawn gets as paid time off from her job (wrong.. just wrong I say... lucky girl!!) but I really can't complain. Let me explain:

For whatever reason, in a normal year, my company actually gives us less time of for Christmas than for Thanksgiving. For that holiday, we get both Thanksgiving and the following day off, giving us a lovely 4 day weekend. Then for Christmas... one day off. That's it. So let's say that Christmas falls on a Wednesday. We'll work Monday and Tuesday.. then have Christmas day off, then back to work for the rest of the week. Don't get me wrong.. I love my job and don't have any issues with the policy.. it's always just seemed a little odd when you step back and think about it!

Luckily this year, Christmas happens to fall on a Tuesday. The company, realizing that if anyone actually worked on Monday probably wouldn't be very focused, decide to give us an extra day off. Woo-hoo! One more vacation day. Plus, now that I have past my company 10 year anniversary, I get an extra week of paid vacation time. Soooo, I am taking any extra day off. That gives me Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday off!!! I realize that for most, this isn't that big of a deal... but suddenly I am faced with an actual Christmas break... something I haven't had in years. And I like it!!

So what are my biggie plans for all this time off? Stay home.. play with my kiddos, and have a good time leading up to Christmas day. I'll take the kids to Chucky Cheese, swimming, and to the movies. We'll celebrate Dawn's birthday, watch our list of traditional Christmas movies, see some Christmas lights, play some games, and finally catch up on some DVDs piling up to watch. There's cooking Christmas cookies and my annual Christmas cheesecake (ahhhhhh... cheesecake....) I better go get started... vacationing.. Turns out, there's a lot to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment