Monday, October 2, 2006

Why Marist Rules!

Ok, I just have to say this.... Marist High School.. rules. Yes, I have been a part of the Marist community for 6 years now, ever since Dawn took over the coaching of the JV volleyball team. Yes, I produced a new Marketing video for the school and am doing ongoing video production for the school. Yes, I have seen the benefits of attending a private christian high school, what with all the crap going on in public schools. But never has this really been truly demonstrated prior to this week.

First, let's go back a week. Last Wednesday... was a tough day. As I blogged about earlier, it was just a very emotional day, very stressful due to the unknowns and just overall, a very rough experience. So, how did my office react to my going through this? With the typical "Oh, that's terrible.. now, I need you to do... blah blah blah". It was about as impersonal as you can get. No real care, no real concern, just another issue to deal with at the office.. and when will you be focused on your job?

Now fast forward to later in the afternoon. About 3:00 I headed over to the school to do some video interviews with volleyball players for my current video project. As always, I checked in at the office and had one of their staff walk me to the class room I use and let me in. The staff member that walked me over.. I had never even met her.. and yet she knew who I was and immediately asked "How is your Mom doing? Do they know if she is safe? Is there anything we can do?"

I was floored. I didn't even know this person and yet their care and concern were nothing like those that I have worked with for years. Then I walked into the gym to talk to the girls and right away, I had a quick hug from Kaycee, one of the senior girls asking if everything was ok. Again, the care and concern from this group was just a very nice gesture and one that I will appreciate for a long time.

But then, they took it a step forward. The next day at our game in LaPine (we won, by the way) the team approached me with an idea.. They wanted to do something cool for the volleyball team at PCHS, as Emily, the girl who was killed, was on the team. Our girls wanted to send a care package and I thought it was a great idea.

On Friday, thanks to the help of Dawn and the coaches, the package was ready, a volleyball, signed by all the girls in the program, cards (also signed by all the girls) a letter to share our condolences, and then we shot a video. All the girls from the 3 teams got together outside in a group. The seniors spoke, and delivered a message of hope and recover to the PCHS team, and some insight on what it may be like playing after loosing a team member. They shared that their hearts and prayers were with them. It was quick, all of a two minute message, but very cool nonetheless.

So today, the package went out.. bound for Colorado and a team that is experiencing a huge trial. For me.. this is totally surreal.. to see the high school that I am now involved with so heavily connecting to the high school I graduated from. It's like my present and past all colliding together... very odd, under the circumstances.

But again, it just impressed me deeply, the care and concern that exists in the whole Marist organization. They are an awesome bunch. Regardless of how the team does this year, and how my video project turn out.. this will be a highlight of the season for me, to see a team come together to do what they can to help strangers so many miles away. This is something that I will keep with me... for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment