Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Bird Flu... In My Fish Tank

All I hear from the government these days is Bird Flu this and Bird Flu that.... somehow, in the next few years this killer virus is going to come sweeping across the world and kill millions. Cheery thought, eh?

Now, we are taught to be prepared, right? I mean, I didn't earn that Eagle Scout award for nothing. So, according to the news, and my congressman, I must prepare for the Bird flu. To make sure I am safe, I have worked to rid my house of anything related to birds. No more nests, no more feeders, no more little bird houses.. And I have constructed a electrical field around my home that birds cannot fly through. Think of it like the invisible fences that Dog owners install.. the ones where you torture the mutt with the cruel collar that shocks the daylights out of the beast when he crosses a certain point. Yeah, that. That's what I am surrounding my house with.. but for birds. One of those vile "whistling a friendly tune" beak wearing "conjures of death" comes near my home, it's getting vaporized, baby! Gone are the days of the happy bird sounds in the summer mornings, now they are like little flying Grim Reapers, sickles under their wings. COMING FOR ME!! I can begin to see why I have friends who are scared of birds (Yes, Zak.. that's you... Oh and Angela too!) the little beasts of death that they are...

But while trying to protect my home from these fiends from hell, I made one slight mistake... I forgot to protect my fish tank... Oops. Now, I have no clue how the infamous Bird Flue could have struck my fish tank.. but apparently.. it did. My wife and I have had a fish tank since shortly after we were married, a honeymoon decision made while visiting Seaworld. Since then, the fish have always been there, swimming in their tank. Obviously, not the SAME fish.. every once in a while, one will kick the bucket and get replaced.

Our biggest tragedy in the tank occurred during the February storm of 2002, that knocked out power to the house for 5 straight days and lowering the tank temperature to below livable temperatures for tropical fish. But ever since replacing the lot then, we have had minimal tank death.. rather eerie actually. The same basic fish, thriving happily and healthy for all that time.

But then came this week... the week of death. In a 24 hour period, we went from happy, healthy fish.. to an empty tank.. the next fish dying just as soon as we pulled the last one out to make the lone trip to toilet land. I have never seen anything quite like it.. to have the whole tank just go belly up one day (especially when the pet store fish tech guy said our water was fine). Like I said, the only thing that would make sense (according to all the warnings I hear about on the news) is to blame the Bird Flu. Now, how a demon duck got into my fish tank? Who knows. Guess I'll have to increase that security.

No comments:

Post a Comment