Tuesday, May 9, 2006

Playing in High Def

One of the things that I really like about my job is having the opportunity to play with the latest and greatest hi-tech toys and gadgets. There always seems to be something new that I just have to try out. My favorite types of toys: communication/computers, and anything related to video production.

This weekend, I really got to play... and I was loving it. This week at work I have to do a video shoot with the president of the company. I was planning on using my camera as it is certainly capable to do the job. But on Thursday I got a call from our video producer on vacation this week and he offered up his new Sony High Definition video camera. I have yet to play in true High Def quality so I jumped at the chance and was in my car heading over to the studio to pick it up within seconds.

Most people in my team just roll their eyes when I get into this "kid in a candy store" mode as these new toys arrive at my office. And Thursday pulling out the new HD camera, was no exeception. "Oh, here you go again" as one co-worker rolled his eyes. "How do you GET this stuff?" asked another. I just grin ear to ear as I start figuring the thing out. After all, I can't just show up in the President's office with a camera I have never used and have the ego to think that I can just figure it all out right there on the spot with him looking over my shoulder. I have to know what I am doing. I have to know how to set up the camera to make the shots I have in my mind a reality. I have to have something to shoot to put the camera through its paces. And that is where my five year old comes in.

The weekend came and I knew this was my chance to really play, but I had to be patient as most of our weekend plans did not offer any opportunity for successful filming. Sure, we took a 10 mile bike ride along the Wilamette River, but you certainly dont want to bring a $7000 camera along for THAT.. (not without sending our video producer into cardiac arrest at the thought). We went to a planetarium show and filming those, even in High Def.... just not effective. Even a family barbeque... Fire and cameras are not good bedfellows. So my "playing" had to wait until Sunday night.

Finally the opportunity came, to unzip the case and pull that bad boy out. My five year old jumping in excitement that he got to be filmed. And so the testing started.. me figuring out the ins and outs of a new camera and technology, trying not to get my drool on the camera, and my son acting like an idiot on steroids in front of the lens.

So.. what do I think? I must say the camera is very nice! Very solid with some nice features and sharp exterior screen viewfinder. Very easy to compose shots and tweak the focus. But as for the High Def part... the jury is still out. I mean yes, It can create some really sharp pictures! But could I justify the extra 3 grand to get a high def camera? I just don't see the point. Now, maybe I just haven't seen the light on this technology. None of my TV's are high def. The footage looked nice on the computer monitor, but when burned out to DVD, I just couldn't tell enough of a difference on my systems to go "WOW!" and suddenly begin my campaign to convince my wife to start upgrading our TV's to HDTV's. I haven't had any video clients demanding their stuff be shot in HD.

Sure, I have seen the demos at Circuit City, with the stunning picture, where you can see every pore of the actors face shining brightly. It all looks so clear! But are we at the point where we really need to see this much detail? Personally, I prefer the look of film to that of high quality video. That is what appeals to me most. I will be very curious to see how long it takes for High Def to become the societal norm.

But just having a new toy to play with... that is so much fun for me. It gets me very excited! Excited to see technology evolving. Excited to start a new project. Excited to find a new story to tell. But for now, will I do it in HD? I think I'll have to pass. I'll take my good ol camera and keep shooting away.. and see where the technology goes next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment